Student Exchange Program :
Tohoku University DEEP (Direct Enrollment Education Program for Natural Science)
Special Auditing Student (Undergraduate or graduate students)
Students join the regular courses offered in each department or graduate school, where the lectures are mostly given in Japanese. Therefore they are required to provide evidence of proficiency in Japanese, such as the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or equivalent certification of Japanese proficiency issued by the student’s home university. The certificate(s) should be submitted at the time of application.
Special Research Student (Graduate students only)
Students engage in research activities under the supervision of an academic advisor at Tohoku University. They are not always required to provide evidence of proficiency in Japanese, especially in the field of natural science. If the student’s academic advisor agrees to supervise in English, the student will not be required to show proficiency in Japanese.
Requirement for Completion
Undergraduate students: 13 credits or more each semester
Graduate students: 30 ECTS equivalent credits (750 school hours) or more each semester.
Application procedures :
- Submit all application documents in a brown folder and the soft file in a CD to DITMAWA by 19 February 2016 at the latest
- Interview session will be announced between 21-26 February 2016
- Application documents will be submitted to Tohoku University collectively by IPB
Documents required :
- Statement of purpose
- Academic transcript (in English) – can be obtained at Dit.AP
- A page that describes the grading scale in English – can be obtained at Dit.AP
- Letter of Recommendation from each applicant’s advising professor
- Certificate of Enrollment – can be obtained at DitMAWA
- Certificate of Health
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport identification page
- A photograph of the applicant (JPEG file, the aspect ratio must be 3:4).
- Application form for JASSO scholarship
- A photocopy of certificate of language proficiency (JLPT N1 or equivalent for undergraduate students; JLPT N1, equivalent score in Japanese or score from any English language proficiency test for graduate students)
All application form can be downloaded on the following link:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries in the following format: